4 - kanadanhanhi

I probably don't need to translate kanadanhanhi for you, but yes, kanadahanhi is the Finnish name for the Canada Goose. I've just been up to the pond for my legal allowance of coronavirus exercise, and I was surprised to find another visitor, so soon after the tutkasotki/tufted duck. It's by itself and I'd be surprised if it hangs around. There are only a few mallards after all, and I assume there just isn't enough nutrition available. Also, in normal times, people often come and feed the ducks, but not at the moment.

I often wonder why certain species thrive and others don't. True, we did give the Canada Goose a major free leg up when it was brought over here for ornamental purposes, but even so, you still have to take your opportunities, don't you? And this bird certainly did. I hadn't realised it had also got to Finland too. According to my Suomalainen Lintu-opas (Finnish Bird Guide), the kanadanhanhi only arrived there in 1964, and it now boasts 2,000-4,000 pairs. Anyway, if you look in any bird book, you'll probably see entries for various other species of goose; who knows why they've sometimes dwindled in numbers, whereas the Canada Goose defies active efforts to control its spread.

How do you like the photo? The pond looks quite idyllic in it, doesn't it, thanks to careful cropping.

Comments

  1. The silliest cost saving ever was firing the guy who pricked goose eggs in Londons parks. So now there are millions of them

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blade Runner 2049's Finnish (Aug 2019 update)

A Question of Integrity, by Susan Howatch

How To Talk Trash In Cherokee